Thursday, the 13th, will be the last class we have before you give your speech. Come to class prepared to work with your speech, and have ready any questions you have about your speech. Hopefully you are moving closer toward a completed speech. HERE is a more detailed outline for you to use as you complete your speech. Remember that a paper copy of your outline is due the day you give your speech and remember to have a reference list.
Reconsider the following ideas as you complete your speech. Most of you will have policy type persuasive speeches. Follow the Problem - Cause - Solution format for your main points. Be sure to ask yourself questions about each of these points and have the answers in your speech. A problem can be thought of as a combination of some sort of harm/ill and a barrier that prevents that harm from being solved. Be sure that your solution solves the problem you have laid out.
A few of you are doing value type persuasive speeches. In the introduction you should include a discussion of the question of value you intend to discuss in your speech. Your mainpoints, used to prove/support your overall value statement, will be arguments supported by evidence (facts, statistics, examples, stories, theories, historical examples, etc.). The type of arguments you use are up to you and may include a variety of structures and topics.
Your persuasive speech needs to be no more than five minutes and not less than four minutes and fifteen seconds. You need to pick a socially significant topic and it can be a fact, value or policy speech. You need to express a clear opinion about your topic and use sources to adequately prove your case. I have encouraged you to chose a policy speech that deals with a social problem in your local community or in the United States in general. You need to turn in two outlines for this speech. One very short outline (this Thursday) and a second more detailed outline is due the day of the speech. You need a paper copy of your outline in order to give your speech on speech day (11/18).
The short outline, that you're bringing in on Thursday, should be very brief and include these parts:
Introduction (about two sentences, include your thesis)
Main point 1 (one sentence)
Main point 2 (one sentence)
Main point 3 (one sentence)
Conclusion (one or two sentences)
Remember: there was a small change in the speech/paper assignment. You have to do a speech still, but you are no longer required to write a paper. A paper is still an option, however, you can do a short rebuttal speech instead. The main speech will be worth 15%, the rebuttal speech or paper is worth 5%. So, you either do 2 speeches for 20% (one worth 15%, one worth 5%) or you do 1 speech and 1 paper for 20%.
If you have any questions, please contact me ASAP!